Automake puts unwanted flags in compilation command

From: Daniel Campoverde Carrión [Alx741]
Subject: Automake puts unwanted flags in compilation command
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 16:42:30 -0500

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to use autotools for the first time for a simple microntroller
project, one of my Makefile.am files contains this:

>PIC_DEVICE=18f4550
>CC=sdcc
>LD=sdcc
>FLAGS= --use-non-free -mpic16 -p$(PIC_DEVICE)
>AM_CFLAGS = $(FLAGS)
>AM_LDFLAGS=
>override CFLAGS=
>
>COMPILE=$(CC) $(FLAGS) -c -o
>LINK=$(LD) $(FLAGS) -o $@
>
>noinst_PROGRAMS = firmware.hex
>firmware_hex_SOURCES = firmware.c

* Notice i've tried (with no success) AM_CFLAGS, AM_LDFLAGS, override CFLAGS

I need to compile the code using SDCC compiler with the flags i specified there,
but when i try `make` i got error because of additional flags being added that
SDCC doesn't recognize:

>make[3]: Entering directory '/home/alx/lab/home_brain/src/firmware'
>sdcc --use-non-free -mpic16 -p18f4550 -c -o -MT firmware.o -MD -MP -MF
>.deps/firmware.Tpo -c -o firmware.o firmware.c
>at 1: warning 119: don't know what to do with file '.deps/firmware.Tpo'. file
>extension unsupported
>mv -f .deps/firmware.Tpo .deps/firmware.Po
>mv: cannot stat ‘.deps/firmware.Tpo’: No such file or directory
>Makefile:308: recipe for target 'firmware.o' failed
>make[3]: *** [firmware.o] Error 1

So far using the whole build system is getting my way and i'm getting pretty
discouraged from using it, which is sad. Is there a way to build my firmware
properly without ugly hacks? Should i use plain Makefiles?

Thanks in advance.

--
Daniel Campoverde Carrión [alx741]
GPG key id: 12622B78 (keys.gnupg.net)