Re: What would the correct way be to handle a program with a PID file be

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: What would the correct way be to handle a program with a PID file being built to a prefix directory?
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 15:19:30 +0100

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 3:47 AM, Michael Lueck
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Prefix, building the program with non root permissions to be run in the
> context of a user's home directory.
>
> PID file, generally defaults to /var/run, however in this case permissions
> are not granted to /var/run. One could assume ~/var/run would be the proper
> place for the PID file.
>
> Building a certain OSS/FS app fails when being built with a prefix
> specified, as /var/run is still assumed for the PID file. I hacked the
> source code to obtain ability to target ~/var/run for the PID file, and the
> program works as expected.

It depends on the build system of the program in question, but it
looks like "localstatedir" is the preferred makefile variable for this
directory, and is as an autoconf output variable. It should be set
automatically from whatever "prefix" directory was specified.