Re: Missing separator error can be caused by too many files in alternate

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Missing separator error can be caused by too many files in alternate recipe format
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 07:21:18 -0400

On Mon, 2014-05-26 at 20:46 -0400, PenguinDude24 wrote:
> What I think happened is that obviously there was some internal error
> with heuristics that GNU Make (and most likely others), and the
> heuristics engine could not figure out how to parse that long line
> (maybe was not expecting data to be so long, or programmer so stupid
> to do that) and threw the error.

GNU make supports an arbitrary number of targets and prerequisites, up
to the size of your computer's memory.  There are no (known) hardcoded
limits.

And, an error like "missing separator" is not what I would expect to see
if the problem were related to some out of bounds error.

Instead, I expect that either there's some issue with the way automake
generated the makefile, or else some issue with the filenames in the
target list, or a bug in GNU make related to heap management.

The only way to know is if you give us the details necessary to
understand the problem.  What version of automake are you using?  What
version of GNU make?  And, what is the (exact) contents of the line
which is causing make to throw an error (and a few lines before/after
it, for context)?