Re: Help with static linking

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: Help with static linking
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 03:06:55 -0400

On Sunday 02 June 2013 01:10:36 Kip Warner wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-06-01 at 23:14 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > be aware that what ever version of glibc & gcc you use to build, the end
> > user cannot have a version older than that or it'll fail to start
>
> Do you mean in the case of dynamic linking? If so, that's awful. But
> strange because I've seen many upstream projects release precompiled
> binaries without that ever really being made into an issue. Or do you
> mean in the case of static linking?

i mean dynamic linking.  it's always been this way.

people who do binary releases often times find an old distro that works and
then upgrade packages as need be.  then they keep that image around forever.

either that or they just do a build for the last two RHEL or Ubuntu releases
and say "compatible with these two distros and we don't care about the rest".

> Hey, I'm all ears and open to alternatives. If you have a better
> suggestion on how to get an application with said requisite runtimes to
> run out of the box off optical media via XDG autostart without requiring
> the novice user to have to do anything with their package manager, I'm
> all ears.

do what every one else does.  release a .deb for Ubuntu that depends on the
right packages.  or open source it :P.  done.
-mike