Re: What did AM_ ever do to you?

From: Kerrick Staley
Subject: Re: What did AM_ ever do to you?
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 20:40:14 -0700

What I meant previously was:

Automake renamed some macros and dropped support for the older versions
(AM_CONFIG_HEADER -> AC_CONFIG_HEADERS and AM_PROG_MKDIR_P
-> AC_PROG_MKDIR_P come to mind). This is bad because it breaks every
single open source project in existence (break ALL the builds), for reasons
that most developers don't want to have to think about (writing code is
fun; worry about how to build it is less fun).

I'm sure there were legitimate technical reasons for the renaming, but I
think it would've been better overall if you had kept the deprecated
namings indefinitely—a little extra work on your part, but much less stress
for everyone else. Just my 2c worth.

- Kerrick