Re: bug#13578: [IMPORTANT] A new versioning scheme for automake releases

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: bug#13578: [IMPORTANT] A new versioning scheme for automake releases, and a new branching scheme for the Git repository
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 01:30:33 +0900

Nate Bargmann <address@hidden> writes:
> I was advised by a Debian maintainer to use tilde '~' as the
> separator as any text following it will be considered "older".  For
> example, in our project 'Hamlib-3.0~git' is "older" than
> 'Hamlib-3.0' will be once released.  A hyphen or underscore trips
> this logic up, as I understand it, for both .deb and .rpm formats.

This is a Debian-specific syntax, for use in Debian package version
numbers.  It's a handy way for the Debian maintainer to directly
represent various existing package version naming schemes with only
mechanical changes (typical, replacing a "_" or "-" with "~"), but I
don't think there's any intent that upstreams should adopt this syntax
directly (though I suppose it doesn't particularly hurt if they
do...).

-miles

--
Abstainer, n. A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a
pleasure. A total abstainer is one who abstains from everything but