Re: Pre-build step with exact dependency

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Pre-build step with exact dependency
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 10:14:35 +0100

Hi Germán.

On 12/06/2012 06:45 PM, Germán Diago Gómez wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to the automake mailing lists. Nice to meet you. I've been using
> linux and the autoconf framework for several years already.
>

> I want to pre-build a resource file before including it in a source
> file.  I've seen the recommendation on this thread of how to do better
> than with BUILT_SOURCE variable:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2010-06/msg00030.html
>

> My question is:
>
> Can I rely on the object name (.o) generated by automake tool for adding
> a dependency on my resource file?

Not really, no; that is mostly an internal detail, and might change in
the future.  However, it is worth noting that the current convention for
naming of '*.o' files have been in place for quite some time, and it's
unlikely that it will be changed without a good reason; even if it will
be changed, the change will be prominently announced in Automake's NEWS
file.

So, to sum up, I think you can (ab)use this particular Automake internal
quite safely, as long as you keep an eye on the Automake's NEWS file to
be forewarned of any change that would break your use case.

> Will this change in the future and
> hence, my rule get broken? Because my dependency name looks a bit
> elaborate, like this:
>
> Src/DatabaseManager-DatabaseManager.o
>
> Regards

HTH,