Re: Pre-built binary package

From: Too, Justin A.
Subject: Re: Pre-built binary package
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 16:38:36 -0700

(I appreciate everyone's feedback.)

On 9/20/12 4:12 PM, "Baurzhan Ismagulov" <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 04:03:11PM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
>> There's a lot of naysaying going on here, but don't assume that a single
>> properly built binary can't be made to run on a large number of systems
>> until you've looked into it carefully.  All you have to do is target the
>> lowest common denominator, and statically link anything that isn't
>> compatible with all the target systems.
>
>He already said that he isn't looking for one-size-fits-all solution.
>Providing different builds for every supported distro version may be
>cheaper than carefully looking into the single binary solution. But he
>also needs location independence. This could be solved by single binary
>or dlopen. Justin, just out of curiosity: Why do you want location
>independence?

Ease of "installation" for end users.  Specifically, we have 40 identical
machines with the same tool chain.  Our developers are using these
systems.  It's a hassle to require each developer to install our project
for non-development purposes (i.e. To just use the executable).

I would like to continually release a pre-built binary after each source
code integration.  Then, each developer can simply download this
distribution and plop it into their own $HOME (or whatever their
convention is) and use it.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
  Justin =)