Re: automake >= 1.11.4 aclocal misses ../share/aclocal

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: automake >= 1.11.4 aclocal misses ../share/aclocal
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:02:22 +0200

Hi Ralf, thanks for the report.

On 04/24/2012 11:45 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Hi,
>
> automake >= 1.11.4 doesn't create $(datadir)/aclocal.
>
> This cause aclocal to fail:
>
> tar xvf automake-1.11.4.tar.xz
> cd automake-1.11.4
> configure --prefix=/tmp/foo
> make
> make install
>
> Change to the source directory of an arbitrary automake-based package
> and run /tmp/foo/bin/aclocal
>
> aclocal: couldn't open directory '/tmp/foo/share/aclocal': No such file or
> directory
>
> $(datadir)/aclocal is the directory, packages outside of automake are
> supposed to install their *.m4's into.
>
> It's an error
> a) of automake to not create this directory

It's this: an error in automake build system :-(

Luckily, it is already fixed in master (which tomorrow will become Automake
1.12), and unlikely to represent itself (since in master we finally have a
true "installcheck" target that is always run by "make distcheck" and should
catch errors like this one.

> b) in aclocal to abort in case this directory is not present

Regards,
  Stefano