Re: automake 1.11.3 check-TESTS and command line length

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: automake 1.11.3 check-TESTS and command line length
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:46:07 +0100

Hi Bob, sorry for the delay.

On 02/19/2012 07:55 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> I am again bit by automake not being able run the test suite on systems
> with bounded command line length.  Up to automake 1.11.2 I was able to
> apply a patch by Ralf Wildenhues.

Which patch are you referring to exactly?

> With 1.11.3 the implementation is totally different and the patch has no hope
> of applying.

How does this later patch of mine fares?

  <http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7868#31>

Caveat: it works for GNU make only, and it's *really ugly*.  So ugly that I
don't
feel like applying it to automake proper.

> What is the prospect that Automake will be able to run large test
> suites again?

"Again" is not the correct word here -- automake, either patched or not,
has *never* been able to run arbitrarily large test suites.  Still, recent
changes might have unintentionally reduced the maximal "testsuite size"
automake is able to handle, and we'd want to fix that.  How "big" is the
testsuite you are referring to concretely?

Anyway, for the moment, I've applied the patch (available from the link above)
that introduces a testcase for this automake limitation.  Better to keep the
issue exposed.

The exact version of the applied patch is attached, for reference.

Regards,
  Stefano