Re: allowing users to add source files without rerunning the autotools?

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: allowing users to add source files without rerunning the autotools?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:39:06 -0500

Hi Stefano,

On 2012-01-20 20:36 +0100, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> On 01/19/2012 09:27 PM, Nick Bowler wrote:
> >
> > [SNIP]
> >
> > Interestingly, if you actually stick a line exactly like the above into
> > your Makefile.am, Automake will actually do "The Right Thing™" and
> > creates the .Po stub as if you had actually specified the source file
> > normally.  Presumably you'd be relying on totally unsupported internal
> > behaviour of Automake in this case, though. :)
> >
> If you feel like writing a complete example of how to (ab)use this feature
> in practice, so that a user can add source files at make time and have
> automatic dependency tracking work nonetheless, that would make a great
> addition to the automake manual and testsuite.  Otherwise I'll try to cook
> up an example myself in the next days (no promise though).

When I posted that, it was just an interesting side note.  I didn't
think that you could use this to help with the "files not known until
build time" problem.  But now that you mention it, I think I see how it
might be used for this purpose.

I can certainly try to put something together, but I doubt I'll have
time this weekend to do it.

Cheers,
--
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)