Re: Automake 1.11.2 released

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Automake 1.11.2 released
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 20:18:49 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011, Miles Bader wrote:

What's the difference between xz and lzip anyway...?

I've never even heard of lzip, but the debian package description makes
it sound very similar to xz...

From a layman's standpoint, I noticed right away that lzip is small
and in the spirit of gzip and bzip2 whereas xz is huge (10X more source code last time I checked) and has many more lines of configure script than lzip has of source code in its entirety.

However, lzip is written in portable C++ (rather than C) and does not configure via autotools (because it uses only portable C++) so it is at a political disadvantage.

These are reasons why I have been a proponent of lzip since this topic came up a number of years ago.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn