Re: Could automake-generated Makefiles required GNU make?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Could automake-generated Makefiles required GNU make?
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 22:59:56 +0100

Hi Stefano,

Stefano Lattarini <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Tuesday 22 November 2011, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> It seems to me that this proposal would fill a niche between current
>> Automake and Quagmire.
>>
>> IMO that niche may be small.  One of Automake’s strengths is to support
>> multiple make implementations.  If you’re going to require GNU make, why
>> not take Quagmire’s approach, so you really get to benefit more from
>> GNU make features?
>>
> Basically, because I want something that work *from day zero*.

Well Quagmire already “works”, right?  :-)

>   <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2011-01/msg00077.html>

I’m not convinced by these arguments.  I think Quagmire could reasonably
be taken over by other hackers (it’s not that complex, after all), and
could be attractive to GNU hackers because it’s so close to Automake–if
only the “social” part would work well.  But hey, who knows?

Thanks,
Ludo’.