Re: Automake options and Libtool

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: Automake options and Libtool
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 12:15:06 +0200

[adding automake list in CC:]

Hi Cédric.  Please note that questions about automake should be
sent to the automake list, not to the autoconf one.  Thanks.

On Monday 26 September 2011, GAVA Cédric wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I am trying to pass -Wall option to AM_AUTOMAKE :

I guess you mean AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE.

> AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wall foreign])

BTW, due to a long-standing bug in automake (now fixed in the developement
version), if you really want to enable all the automake warnings, you
should put the `-Wall' option *after* the `foreign' one.

> The configure.ac also have LT_INIT
>
> Unfortunately, after launching autoreconf -i, I don' t see my Wall
> option, neither in the generated Makefile, not configure script..

Of course not: the `-Wall' in AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE only instructs *automake*
to activate all its available warnings.  It hasn't, nor it should have,
any effect on the other autotools (libtool, aclocal, autoconf, autoheader),
as we well as on the compiler or other tools used in the Makefiles.

> And, in the end, it's not visible in the libtool command launched...

And that's good.

> What do I miss ?

Well, for us to answer to this question, you should first explain what
you're trying to achieve exactly ;-)

Regards,
  Stefano