./configure can't find Boost headers

From: myrdos2
Subject: ./configure can't find Boost headers
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:13:38 -0700 (PDT)

I have the following configure.ac file:

AC_INIT([Dasyne], [1.0], address@hidden)
AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR([Dasyne.hpp])
AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wall -Werror foreign])
AC_PREREQ(2.65)
AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([libdasyne/DasyneConfig.hpp])

#Linker parameters to use when checking for features
LDFLAGS=-lboost_system

# Checks for programs.
AC_PROG_CXX
AC_PROG_RANLIB

# Checks for header files.
AC_CHECK_HEADERS_ONCE([boost/asio.hpp boost/bind.hpp boost/function.hpp
inttypes.h zlib.h])

# Checks for typedefs, structures, and compiler characteristics.
AC_HEADER_STDBOOL

#Create the Makefile and config.h
AC_CONFIG_FILES([Makefile])
AC_OUTPUT

The presence of boost/asio.hpp, boost/bind.hpp and boost/function.hpp are
never detected. And yet, I can write a simple program like this:

#include <boost/asio.hpp>

int main(void)
{
    return 0;
}//main

And it will compile, as long as I link with -lboost_system. What could the
problem be?