Re: Controlling libtool library link stage

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Controlling libtool library link stage
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 19:10:50 +0200

Hello Justin,

* Too, Justin A. wrote on Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 06:52:33PM CEST:
> The libraries in LIBADD are the convenience libraries generated in
> subdirectories.  I would like to perform the link step of all of the
> intermediate libraries into libprogram.la on a ramdisk.

Why not put the whole build tree on the ram disk?
I might be spoiled there.

> Is there a
> hook to override libprogram.la's link step such that I can copy all of
> the intermediate libraries to the ramdisk and then link them into
> libprogram.la on the ramdisk?

Not really.

> Or would I need to create a wrapper for
> the linker and set the top-level Makefile.am's linker to this
> wrapper-script?

You could probably cope without, with something like

# AC_SUBST(ramdisk) adequately from configure.
libfoo_la_LIBADD = $(ramdisk)/libconv1.la $(ramdisk)/libconv2.la ...

# Could use EXTRA_..._DEPENDENCIES with Automake 1.12.
libfoo_la_DEPENDENCIES = $(libfoo_la_LIBADD)
$(ramdisk)/libconv1.la: sub/libconv1.la
        cp -p sub/libconv1.la $@
$(ramdisk)/libconv2.la: ...

Cheers,