Re: PKG_CHECK_MODULES on system without pkg-config installed?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: PKG_CHECK_MODULES on system without pkg-config installed?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 20:30:35 +0900

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> I don't even try to fully support systems without pkg-config, I
> basically just want a fallback so I can get some sort of build on them,
> maybe with some features disabled.

I should note that although this is my tactic, it's not actually a very
important point.

For the rest of the reasons mentioned, _even if_ one wants to fully
support systems without pkg-config (so one has to add the manual probing
code), it's still a good idea to just support both methods:  supporting
pkg-config doesn't add much complexity to the configure.ac file (the
bloat is the manual probing code), and for systems that _can_ benefit
from it, it yields superior results.

-Miles

--
Ocean, n. A body of water covering seven-tenths of a world designed for Man -
who has no gills.