Two TESTS from the same file

From: Pippijn van Steenhoven
Subject: Two TESTS from the same file
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 06:01:41 +0100

Hi,

I am writing a compiler and have a large amount of tests. Before, I used
dejagnu and tcl and manually walked through the tests directory,
executing each file and recording output, comparing it with the expected
output, able to differ between expected error (such as a segfault) and
expected failure (incorrect output) and doing some metrics.

I found that it would be more appropriate to use normal TESTS
(parallel-tests) for this, because my tcl script couldn't run tests in
parallel. Also, normal tests have direct support from automake, so I
don't need the tcl script, anymore.

However, I immediately ran into a problem. My compiler also contains an
interpreter, which I want to test. Most of the time, the output from
compiled code and interpreted code is the same, so I only need one
expected output file per test, so I did this:

  TESTS += t1075b.rexp # compiled
  TESTS += t1075b.texp # interpreted

  TEST_EXTENSIONS = .rexp .texp

  REXP_LOG_COMPILER = $(srcdir)/runtest
  TEXP_LOG_COMPILER = $(srcdir)/runtest

  # in case the two outputs are equal, the directory only has a single
  # .exp file which we copy to .texp and .rexp here
  .exp.rexp: ; @cp $< $@
  .exp.texp: ; @cp $< $@

The copying worked well and everything is ok, except that both .rexp and
.texp produce .log, so after one of them has been run, the other one is
not run, because the .log already exists.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work without adding yet more subdirs?

--
Pippijn van Steenhoven