Re: Is that a way to modify tar.m4?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Is that a way to modify tar.m4?
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 11:13:41 +0100

Hello,

reading the conversation, most things seem to already be cleared up.
Just a couple of minor points:

* xufeng zhang wrote on Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 11:47:37AM CET:
> On 11/26/2010 06:37 PM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
[...]
> >enough).  As Dave pointed out in a previous mail, you should:
> >
> >  1.  Unpack tar
> >  2.  configure
> >  3.  make  # this will build ./aclocal and ./automake
> >
> >  Assuming success so far, then proceed to:
> >
> >  4.  patch tar.m4
> >  5.  make  # this will use the ./aclocal and ./automake build previously
> Seems it can only use this workaround, if I am building a file
> system containing automake,
> then it shouldn't be this way, because it should execute serially.

Not quite correct; the precondition is that you need to have been built
the Automake package at least once only.  That means step 3: 'make' has
to have been run successfully before you start modifying tar.m4.

As Stefano already mentioned, the ./bootstrap script always gets you
back to a working source tree (you still might need to rerun configure
if your build tree is totally messed up), even if re-running 'make'
fails (which it usually shouldn't).

Last but not least: if you have a good patch for tar.m4, please consider
submitting it to the automake-patches list.  We encourage downstreams to
fold back all their changes into the upstream GNU sources, so there is
as little divergence as possible.

Thanks,
Ralf