Re: Bison and automake together

From: Paulo J. Matos
Subject: Re: Bison and automake together
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 16:37:26 +0000

address@hidden (Paulo J. Matos) writes:

> I understand your opinion, unfortunately it then means that there's no
> support for Bison in C++ mode from the automake side which is
> unfortunate. :-/

I decided to forget automake support and instead go for my own:
So, I removed AC_PROG_YACC from configure.ac and added:
,----
| AC_PATH_PROG([BISON], [bison])
`----

Then in Makefile.am:
,----
| BISON_HEADER = scgparser.tab.hh
| BISON_GENERATED = scgparser.tab.cc $(BISON_HEADER)
| COMMON_OBJS = scgparser-driver.cc scgparser.yy scglexer.l \
|               $(BISON_GENERATED)
|
| bin_PROGRAMS = scgc scgdoc scgmc
|
| scgc_SOURCES = scgc.cc $(COMMON_OBJS)
|
| $(BISON_GENERATED): scgparser.yy
|       $(BISON) --defines=$(BISON_HEADER) $<
`----

But then I get this annoying:
,----
| Makefile.am: Yacc (C++) source seen but `YACC' is undefined
| Makefile.am:   The usual way to define `YACC' is to add `AC_PROG_YACC'
| Makefile.am:   to `configure.ac' and run `autoconf' again.
| make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1
`----

Does someone confirm that there is a bug here?
Bison in C++ mode with -y compatibility mode generates a file which
includes y.tab.h. ylwrap _cannot_ rename the file or compilation will
fail. If C++ is supported there's a problem with ylwrap. If it's not
supported then Yacc shouldn't display the error and abort the build.

Am I right?

--
PMatos