separate target for installing docs

From: mhoenicka
Subject: separate target for installing docs
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:02:19 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I'm maintaining a software project which uses a pretty straightforward
automake/autoconf/libtool setup to build and install the software and the
documentation. The documentation is maintainer-built and shipped with the
tarball. Usually, the end-user does not build the documentation, but just
installs whatever is shipped. I've received a request from a package
maintainer to move the documentation installation to a separate make target.
That is:

make: should build the software and the docs (if needed)
make install: should install the software, including some DATA files (like a
.pc file), but not the docs
make install-doc: should install only the docs (but not other DATA files)

Is there a simple way to achieve this?

thanks
Markus