Re: Generate Custom Compiler / Build Rules?

From: Xochitl Lunde
Subject: Re: Generate Custom Compiler / Build Rules?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:59:24 -0500

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote on 09/13/2009 12:09:31 PM:

> Hello Xochitl,
>
> * Xochitl Lunde wrote on Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 09:27:31PM CEST:
> > I have an embedded platform for which I override all the make rules by

> > writing the make rules by hand in Makefile.am.  I have tested this
out,
> > and it works great, but because we have many unit tests, I have to
copy
> > and paste the rules over and over and over as we add unit tests.
>
> Ouch.  Do you require GNU make or do you target portable make?
> If the former, then you should be able to use pattern rules.
>

> > And the very last thing, Automake 1.10 complains about the "$(shell
pwd)"
> > in my 'debugfile' definition in Makefile.am, but Automake 1.9.6
handles it
> > just fine.  Which one is confused or how should I write this?
>
> That's due to (quoting automake/NEWS for 1.10):
>
>   - `-Wportability' has finally been turned on by default for `gnu' and
>     `gnits' strictness.  This means, automake will complain about
%-rules
>     or $(GNU Make functions) unless you switch to `foreign' strictness
or
>     use `-Wno-portability'.

I have long since fixed the "$(shell pwd)" in my makefile, but I still get
it complaining
about '%' rules being a GNU make extension.  I added "-Wno-portability" to
CFLAGS & CXXFLAGS, but
that did not change anything.  What do I add -Wno-portability to?
How could I change this rule to not be a % rule?

%$(BIN_EXT) : %$(EXEEXT)
        f=`echo "$<" | sed 's/$(EXEEXT)//'`; \
        make $$f$(SYM_EXT); \
        cp $< $$f-monimage$(EXEEXT);
        $(OBJCOPY) -Obinary $< $$f$(ac_uncompress_ext)
        $(ac_netos_imgcompress) $$f$(ac_uncompress_ext)
$$f$(ac_compress_ext)
        $(ac_netos_boothdr) $(ac_netos_imgheader_cfg)
$$f$(ac_compress_ext) $@ $(PLATFORM) $(ac_netos_l2b_endian)
        $(RM) $$f$(ac_compress_ext)
        ../../$(ac_netos_binpack) $(PLATFORM)
$(ac_netos_ldscripts)/rom.bin $@