convert a pattern rule to a suffix rule

Subject: convert a pattern rule to a suffix rule
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:14:15 +0200

Hello,

I know that pattern rules are not portable. When we use one pattern rule, then
we call autoreconf, we can see this warning :
man/Makefile.am:8: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
So if we want a protable project, we should not use them in a Makefile.am file.

But we can use a old fashioned suffix rule which is portable. The problem is
when the prerequisites arn't in the same directory than the target and when the
prerequisites have no suffix.

In this Makefile.am (see below)
-the target is in the . directory
-the prerequisites are in the ../src/ directory
-the prerequisites have no suffix

Makefile.am
---
dist_man_MANS = t4e.1

HELP2MAN = help2man -h "-h" -v "-v" -N
RM = rm -rfv

all-local: $(dist_man_MANS)

        $(HELP2MAN) $< -o $@

clean-local:
        $(RM) *.1
---

I use a pattern rule which is not portable because I don't know how to convert
it in a suffix rule.

How to convert this pattern rule in a suffix rule?

Thank you.