Re: call for help/crazy idea: nmake support

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: call for help/crazy idea: nmake support
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 02:25:02 -0400

On Sat, 2010-07-31 at 19:26 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Here's a crazy idea: how about if automake optionally output an input
> file suitable for nmake (after configure substitution)?
> Is that even feasible?  (I'd guess so)
> Maybe if we have contents conditional on 'make' or 'nmake' output?
> Would that even help anybody?  (no idea)
> Is there anybody willing to work on this?
> Should I prepare a Summer of Code/other code sprint project proposal[1]?

nmake really does live in a different universe.  Just for example,
CPPFLAGS are for the C++ compiler in nmake, not the preprocessor.  And
is nmake really used for anything nontrivial these days?  I suppose the
main thing that Automake would bring to this party is automatic
dependency generation.  And assuming one cares about nmake in the first
place, I guess that's pretty nice.

> Or is a better alternative to follow the path we have taken with Libtool
> (finally getting MSVC support in) also in Automake, with Peter's patches
> and more?

I'm certainly quite eager to see this in Automake and Libtool.  I
suspect this will hit the sweet spot for a lot of autotools users.

--
Braden McDaniel <address@hidden>