RE: call for help/crazy idea: nmake support

From: David Byron
Subject: RE: call for help/crazy idea: nmake support
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:41:29 -0700

On Saturday, July 31, 2010, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> Here's a crazy idea: how about if automake optionally
> output an input file suitable for nmake (after configure
> substitution)?  Is that even feasible?  (I'd guess so)
> Maybe if we have contents conditional on 'make' or 'nmake'
> output?  Would that even help anybody?  (no idea)

I don't think this would help that many people.  If someone is running
autotools (or even a generated configure script) on windows, I think we can
assume they've either got cygwin or msys which implies access to make.  If
they've got make I can't see why they'd need to use nmake.

> Or is a better alternative to follow the path we have
> taken with Libtool (finally getting MSVC support in) also
> in Automake, with Peter's patches and more?

I like this approach much better.  All the hand-maintained versions of cccl
would finally disappear.

-DB