Teaching automake about dll defs

From: NightStrike
Subject: Teaching automake about dll defs
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 21:43:59 -0400

Would it be out of the question to teach automake how to handle a def
file as a source file for a library?  On windows platforms, we
typically do something like this after building the libx.a file:

$triplet-dlltool -k --as=$triplet-as --output-lib=libx.a --def=x.def
--as-flags=$(ASFLAGS)

I noticed that the --def option isn't documented, that I can see.
Maybe there's a newer option that I'm supposed to use (oops), but
that's the general idea.  You do this right before AR and RANLIB.
What I do currently in my makefile is to override AR:

lib64_libksuser_a_AR = $(DTLIB) -m i386:x86-64 --as-flags=--64; $(AR) $(ARFLAGS)

Where DTLIB is:
DTDEF=$(DLLTOOL) $(AM_DLLTOOLFLAGS) --def
DTLIB=$(DTDEF) $(top_srcdir)/`echo $@ | $(SED) 's|/lib|/|;s|\.a|.def|'`
AM_DLLTOOLFLAGS=$(dlltool_underscores) -k --as=$(AS) --output-lib $@

It seems like this could easily be handled by automake, though, if it
detected a .def file in the sources list (much like how it knows how
to handle .S for asm, for example).

Is this possible?  Is there anyone willing to do it?