RE: dynamic selection of linker

From: Daily, Jeff A
Subject: RE: dynamic selection of linker
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:23:19 -0800

> > > Override FCLD (if Makefile-global is acceptable) or
> > > libtest_la_LINK.
> > >

> > Just to clarify, I'm using F77 and libtool.  After looking at one of
> > the automake-generated Makefiles, I would need to set F77LINK=$(LINK)
> > in this case, right?
>
> That's another possibility for makefile-global override, yes.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

When I conditionally set F77LINK=$(LINK), automake complains.
# Makefile.am snippet
if NOFORT
F77LINK = $(LINK)
endif

automake: F77LINK was already defined in condition NOFORT, which is included in
condition TRUE ...
Makefile.am: 2 ... `F77LINK` previously defined here

Although inadvisable, I thought the Makefile.am could override whatever it
wanted, without warning.  See 23.1 Extending Automake Rules in the automake
manual.

If I remove the AM_CONDITIONAL use and simply have F77LINK = $(LINK), automake
no longer complains.  This doesn't seem correct.  In any case, I do need to
conditionalize this assignment.  For example, I'm not quite sure how I could
use AC_SUBST in this case in order to avoid the use of the conditional.
Something to the effect of AC_SUBST([F77LINK], [[$(LINK)]]), if you know what
I'm trying to get at here.  (I apologize, I don't know what you meant by
Makefile-global, if there is some other means of accomplishing what I want.)

Thanks,
Jeff