Re: writability of directories in distributions

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: writability of directories in distributions
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 09:48:20 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Harlan Stenn wrote:

I just saw a patch go by about changing the perms on directories in
distribution tarballs.

I'm a fan of 775 myself (ok, I really prefer 2775).

But I can see that some would prefer 777, and others would prefer 755.

The other issue, as I recall, has to do with whether or not 'root' is
doing the unpacking.

Remember that 'root' is going away on many systems which are now using 'roles' (or temporary powers) instead. Extracting a tarball as 'root' is a dangerous thing to do since many things may be preserved which make no sense for the current system, or may even be dangerous.

The only approach which makes real sense is if the extracted files and directories are give the UID/GID of the user/group extracting those files (according to OS-specific rules), and that directories are given access permissions limited only by the current umask and OS-specific rules (as per mkdir(2)). Much of this is based on behavior of the tar command used for the extraction.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn