Re: "make dist" and "make distcheck" trouble

From: David Bruce
Subject: Re: "make dist" and "make distcheck" trouble
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:45:52 -0500

Hello Ralf,

> Which Autoconf and Automake versions do you use?

address@hidden:~/tuxmath-1.7.3$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.11
address@hidden:~/tuxmath-1.7.3$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.64

(my usual development machine is Debian Sid)

...intervening suggestions done...

>> ## 'dist_fonts' is in EXTRA_DATA but is empty by default.  With this target,
>
> s/EXTRA_DATA/EXTRA_DIST/  ?

Yes, that should be EXTRA_DIST

> Please show data/fonts/Makefile.am, I bet the error is in there.

Sure, it's at the end of this email, although I haven't modified it in ages.

>> clean-local:
>>       @$(NORMAL_CLEAN)
>
> What is $(NORMAL_CLEAN) ?

Afraid I don't know - tuxmath was originally "autoconfiscated" by
another dev using a configure.ac adapted from another GPL package -
should I just get rid of this target?

>> 2. src/Makefile.am:
>

>> address@hidden@
>>
>> # How to make an RC file
>> tuxmathrc.o: tuxmathrc.rc
>>       $(WINDRES) -i $< -o $@
>
> $< in non-inferenecs rules is not portable to non-GNU make.  You can use
> tuxmathrc.rc or $(srcdir)/tuxmathrc.rc (whichever is right for your
> package) instead.

OK

>> 3. configure.ac:
>

>> NSI_DLL_DIR=~/tuxmath_dll
>
> Tilde expansion is not portable.  This directory default seems quite
> suspicious to me.

I know - the support for cross-building the Windows package is quite
hackish.  AFAIK this cross-build has only ever been done on my own
machine, and I just hard-coded this to the location where I put the
DLLs.  I addressed the other things you pointed out related to this.

> Cheers,
> Ralf

Anyway, I took all your suggestions (thanks!), but as expected, these
things didn't fix the problem.  fwiw, I have working builds in svn
from earlier this summer, so I'm doing a "git bisect"-type
investigation to see just when the problem appears.  I might add that
there has been very little modification of configure.ac or Makefile.am
files recently, so I find this problem pretty baffling.

I suspect that this is the first time that these files have been
reviewed by anyone with any serious autotools knowledge.

Thanks again,

David Bruce

Here's that Makefile.am for the font directory:

## Makefile.am for tuxmath - data/fonts:

## A little explanation - these variables allow building of the dist tarball
## either without the fonts ("make dist") or with the fonts ("make
dist_with_fonts"),
## see also top level Makefile.am.
## 'data_fonts' is a list of the font files in this directory.
## 'dist_fonts' determines what fonts get bundled in. It is empty by default,
## but gets set to 'data_fonts' in the "make dist_with_fonts" target in the
## top-level Makefile.am.

EXTRA_DIST = $(dist_fonts)

## Handle install "manually" because otherwise it fails on package
without fonts.
## The INSTALL_DATA lines are prefixed with '-' because the fonts may
or may not be
## included (depending if package built with "make dist" or "make
dist_with_fonts"
## 'fontsdir' is where the fonts are installed.

fontsdir = $(pkgdatadir)/fonts

install-data-local:
        $(MKDIR_P) $(DESTDIR)$(fontsdir)
        -$(INSTALL_DATA) $(srcdir)/AndikaDesRevG.ttf $(DESTDIR)$(fontsdir)

uninstall-local:
        -rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(fontsdir)/AndikaDesRevG.ttf
        -rm -f $(DESTDIR)$(fontsdir)