Re: Automake for system libraries

From: Ryan Arnold
Subject: Re: Automake for system libraries
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 16:28:29 -0500

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 23:12 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Ryan Arnold wrote on Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:06:20PM CEST:
> > Moving from GLIBC's very robust and complicated handwritten Makefiles
> > (written by Roland McGrath) to Automake has proven to be conceptually
> > difficult while trying to maintain the sysdeps tree structure.

> Can you off-load the sysdeps detection into a couple of configure macros
> and replace the corresponding file names with AC_SUBST substitutions?
> You'd still have to list all possible files in some EXTRA_libdfp_a_SOURCES
> variable somewhere, but at least that would get you going.

Hi Ralf,

So I've been trying out the AC_SUBST substitutions like you suggested.

configure.ac:
# This has main.c and helper.c computed from a sysdeps tree walk
AC_SUBST(dfp_files)
dfp_headers=helper.h
AC_SUBST(dfp_headers)

Makefile.am:
dfp_source = $(dfp_files) $(dfp_headers)

# filenames without a suffix. This is a local non-automake variable.
dfp_SOURCES = $(dfp_source)

Unfortunately autoconf & automake are able to detect substitutions and
it complains that this hack is forbidden:

configure.ac:324: `dfp_files' includes configure substitution
address@hidden@'
configure.ac:324: and is referred to from `dfp_SOURCES';
configure.ac:324: configure substitutions are not allowed in _SOURCES
variables
configure.ac:328: `dfp_headers' includes configure substitution
address@hidden@'
configure.ac:328: and is referred to from `dfp_SOURCES';
configure.ac:328: configure substitutions are not allowed in _SOURCES
variables
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

Any thoughts?  Anyone else?

Ryan S. Arnold
IBM Linux Technology Center
Linux Toolchain Development