Re: make dist and data package

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: make dist and data package
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 20:26:16 +0100

Hello Michel,

* Michel Briand wrote on Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:19:51AM CET:

> I'm working on a project that release code/library but also a large
> amount of data.
>
> I wonder if it's possible to create 2 packages with make dist. One for
> the software, one for the data directory ?

I see two possibilities: you can write a fully separate dist-data rule,
that also has its own recursive makefile machinery (in case you are
using SUBDIRS), and implement all that manually, or you can hook into
the dist-hook.  It is invoked after the population of $(distdir) in that
Makefile.  For example, you could put a data tarball creation in there,
and then remove unneeded parts for the "normal" tarball.

I'd recommend not splitting in any way such that the user needs more
than one tarball.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf