summarize misbehaving tests

From: William Pursell
Subject: summarize misbehaving tests
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 07:02:58 +0000

Ralf, et al,

I've written a simple patch that lists the tests that
misbehaved (failed or unexpectedly passed), one
per line, in the banner.  For example:
make  check-TESTS
PASS: b
XPASS: expected_fail
FAIL: expected_pass
XFAIL: d
2 of 4 tests did not behave as expected (1 unexpected pass):
    FAIL: expected_pass
    PASS: expected_fail
Please report to BUG-REPORT-ADDRESS
make[1]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
make: *** [check-am] Error 2

I would find this really useful in a lot of my projects
in which the test output is extremely verbose and it's
difficult to pick out the failed tests without scrolling.
I have some reservations about doing this, but overall
think it's a good idea.  Do you think it would be
appropriate to make that functionality a run time
environment option, an automake option (like color-tests),
or just leave it in for all invocations of make check?
(or do you think it's a bad idea?)

--
William Pursell