Re: Shared without libtool

From: NightStrike
Subject: Re: Shared without libtool
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 19:33:22 -0500

On 3/7/08, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, March 8, 2008 01:23, NightStrike wrote:
> >>
> >> The question is: why?
> >
> > Hypothetical discussion on the tcl project.
>
> Tcl is supposed to be portable, no?  Doing it portably pretty much
> requires libtool.

Supposed to be and is are two different things :)

Tcl doesn't use automake, and has completely different configure
scripts for windows and unix.  The configure system doesn't support
any cross compiling, etc etc...  So there's a lot of issues.  I made
the assertion that automake would make the job a lot easier, but
there's a lot of bias, due mainly to deficiencies in libtool (or
deficiencies in the USAGE of libtool by the users...)

> >> There is no special support, but there is no special impediment, either.
> >
> > How would one go about doing it?  in a nutshell..
>
> Oh, I forgot, sorry: there is a special impediment, namely that I won't
> help people to do it.  No reason making myself more work needlessly.

That's rather harsh... no need to be mean about it.  I was asking at a
very high level, not asking for step by step instructions.