Re: substitution vs expansion in Makefile.am

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: substitution vs expansion in Makefile.am
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 15:34:54 -0700

Thanks Bob and Ralf.

Here's one that's just a little more complex (the last one, I promise).

I have this in my Makefile.am:

   registrarTest_SOURCES = registrar.c\
      @top_srcdir@/common/mySleep.c

   registrarTest_CPPFLAGS = -DREGISTRAR_TEST\
      -I$(top_srcdir)/common

This question is somewhat related to the last one I asked. Where
should I use @top_srcdir@, and where should I use $(top_srcdir)?

registrarTest_SOURCES will be used in a make dependency list, and that
registrarTest_CPPFLAGS will be used on a compiler command line. Does
this make a difference? I don't think make cares whether there are
make variables in either targets or dependency lists, but...

I'll tell you what. I'm looking over some code that I wrote a long
time ago, and now I know a lot more about what I'm doing with
Autotools than I used to. I probably copied this stuff from someone
else's project without understanding it. Now I understand what it's
doing, and it just opens up more questions. :)

Regards,
John