Re: installing only shared lib

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: installing only shared lib
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:36:29 +0100

* Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote on Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 12:38:48PM CET:
> () Vincent Torri <address@hidden>
> () Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:17:12 +0100 (CET)
>
>    a library that I use installs shared libs that will be
>    loaded with dlopen. That is, the static lib, the .la
>    files (and the import lib *.dll.a on windows) are not
>    necessary.
>
>    Is there a command to add in a Makefile.am to avoid the
>    installation of those file, so that only the sahred lib
>    is installed ?

Do you want the static library built at all?  If not, try
  libfoo_la_LIBTOOLFLAGS = --tag=disable-static

or with Libtool 2.2,
  libfoo_la_LDFLAGS = -shared

> I'm interested in the answer to this question, as well.  In
> the meantime, i use the hacky workaround script here attached:

Please, do not propagate ugly solutions, unless you know that a clean
one does not exist.  Your script looks like it will fail on AIX, and
probably on some w32 as well.

Cheers,
Ralf