Re: bug in mkdir -p detection

From: Marc Espie
Subject: Re: bug in mkdir -p detection
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 15:27:50 +0100

And yet another problematic package, jpilot fails to install correctly
when built in parallel mode for the same reason.

Even if detecting OpenBSD is not easy, I don't understand why this test
is hardcoded.

In general, most autoconf/automake tests DO set a cache entry, and you
can later rely on that entry. This can be useful for package builders:
we could very easily force configure to use mkdir -p, if we know we've
got a safe one. But no, this test is done again and again for each
configure entry.

As a work-around, I can force mkdir_p='mkdir -p' on the make command-line,
but this is really annoying.

Plus, I'm only fixing the packages where I see races on my specific machine.
I expect there are *more* races that just don't show up yet because I have
a lowly bi-pro.