Re: Automake (alpha) release request

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Automake (alpha) release request
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:47:50 -0700

Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Thanks for your replies! As I understood the Automake
> release is delayed because its licensing info has not
> been updated to GPLv3 yet?

Actually the reverse.  Because the licensing has already been updated
it is now delayed.  Automake installs auxiliary files into your
project.  They have previously had this license wording.

# As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
# distribute this file as part of a program that contains a
# configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under
# the same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.

The FSF wants to handle exceptions very carefully and deliberately.
Therefore the release of the autotools projects have been delayed
while the licensing exception to allow this for GPLv3 has been getting
worked out.

> If that is the case I wonder why new code depends
> on this. Can't you just push the licensing thing
> to a later release if the responsible people don't
> have time for this?

That has been considered but we would like to make the release under
GPLv3.  The code tree has already moved to GPLv3.

> To release a project using LZMA in its Autmake files
> I will need a version number to put as requirement
> and without a release I am not able to do so.
>
> Please try to find a way for a new Automake release
> before 2008. Let me know if I can help with anything.

There are a number of projects that are also waiting for this
licensing issue to be resolved.  Everyone wants it to happen.  But the
automake team's hands are tied while the FSF works this licensing
issue out.  I can only recommend patience.

Bob