Re: Detecting FreeBSD's make

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: Detecting FreeBSD's make
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 20:14:57 +0000

Hey folks,

I found the code I was using to detect broken vpath support.

The culprits seemed to be:

 *-*-irix6.2 (and later. ie, *-*-irix6.1* was OK)
 solaris2.5.1
 *-*-unicosmp

And just to reaffirm, I agree with Ralf that the particular issue has to
do with the way FreeBSD avoids (as I understand it) using VPATH searches
for built files.

Thomas Dickey says his latest byacc includes fixes that are not in the
stock FreeBSD byacc and he does not get the problem I do with his code.

I expect this particular situation (like so many others) is a 'wart'
that will only be seen for a certain period of time.