Re: creating shared libraries

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: creating shared libraries
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 10:04:21 +0100

* address@hidden wrote on Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 11:02:40PM CET:

> I still dont know how to remove the library files with version number,
> such as libfoo.so.0.0.0. May you show me a simple example?

Without Automake, just plain commands:

: ${CC=cc}
echo 'int f() { return 0; }' > a.c
libtool --mode=compile $CC -c a.c
libtool --mode=link $CC -o liba.la a.lo -rpath /whereever -avoid-version

With Automake:

lib_LTLIBRARIES = liba.la
liba_la_SOURCES = a.lo
liba_la_LDFLAGS = -avoid-version

> How to remove the libtool .lo files during the process of 'make'? Thanks.

Afterwards with "make clean".  You don't want to remove them during the
build process, because they are needed by libtool for linking (creating
the library).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf