RE: Version question and "No rule to make target" question

From: Hongliang Wang
Subject: RE: Version question and "No rule to make target" question
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:03:53 +0000

Thanks for the reply.

> CC: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Version question and "No rule to make target" question
> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:39:57 +0200
> To: address@hidden
>
> On Oct 22, 2007, at 9:56 AM, Hongliang Wang wrote:
>
>> address@hidden> make
>> make all-recursive
>> make[1]: Entering directory `/export/guam/jigsaw/dev/jhwgu/src/jz'
>> Making all in gen
>> make[2]: Entering directory `/export/guam/jigsaw/dev/jhwgu/src/jz/gen'
>> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `zizutil.c', needed by
>> `zizutil.o'. Stop.
>
> Are you sure that the file `zizutil.c' exists? If this file is
> generated, use BUILT_SOURCES (see the automake manual).

yes, I am quite sure that this file do exist!

So this is weird - why are automake trying to make my existing source code to
be a target?

I am expecting zizutil.o and zizzy.o to be built from zizutil.c and zizzy.c.

Then I will use these two object files to build the library file: libzizzy.a

so my Makefile.am is

noinst_LIBRARIES = libzizzy.a
libzizzy_a_SOURCES = zizutil.c zizzy.c

Is my Makefile.am correct?

>> My origin Makefile in jz/gen
>> -------------------------------
>> CC= gcc
>> CFLAGS= -I$(GEN) -Wall -Werror
>> ifdef OPTIMIZE
>> CFLAGS += -O
>> endif
>> ifdef DEBUG
>> CFLAGS += -g3
>> endif
>> # It would be nicer if gmake has a define to identify the platform.
>> # For now we have to do with the IA64 command line define.
>> ifdef IA64
>> CFLAGS += -mlp64
>> endif
>
> You should tackle this in your configure. Find a way to identify
> that you're building for IA64 and add `-mlp64' to AM_CFLAGS and
> AC_SUBST it. It would be even better if you took care of writing a
> macro that supports cross-compilation and tests whether the current
> compiler handles `-mlp64'.
>
> By the way, you should use AM_CFLAGS everywhere, for CFLAGS is
> reserved to the user.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Benoit Sigoure aka Tsuna
> EPITA Research and Development Laboratory

Discover the new Windows Vista