Re: Circular dependencies and test programs

From: Michael B Allen
Subject: Re: Circular dependencies and test programs
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:00:10 -0400

On 10/20/07, Ben Pfaff <address@hidden> wrote:
> "Michael B Allen" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > But here's the problem: liba uses libtool / automake and builds a
> > number of test programs not just by configure but by liba's test suite
> > and the linker *does* try to resolve depenencies in that case.
> > Meaning, if I try to build an executable with liba it says it needs
> > libb but libb needs liba.
> >
> > So what do I do?
> >
> > Is there a way to tell configure "don't build executables"?
>
> If the test programs are listed on check_PROGRAMS, instead of on
> some other target, then they will be built only for "make check",
> not for "make all" or "make install".

Hi Ben,

Well that's interesting because indeed they are list on check_PROGRAMS.

However, I have decided that Bob's solution is the right thing to do.
It so happens that the specific code from libb needed by liba does not
need liba. So by breaking up libb into a few smaller libraries I can
eliminate the circular dependency and greatly reduce the number of
libraries I need to link liba with.

Thanks,
Mike

PS: I like your Linux Thinkpad page on the T30. It was very helpful.