Re: parallel make bug with subdir-objects (was: Library locations)

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: parallel make bug with subdir-objects (was: Library locations)
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:45:26 -0400

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 08:33 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello Braden,
>
> * Braden McDaniel wrote on Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 12:27:48AM CEST:
> >
> > Related to this, I have observed dependency problems when using
> > "make -j[n > 1]" with a nonrecursive make setup (and on a multiprocessor
> > system). I have not filed a bug report on this because I'm at somewhat
> > of a loss as to how to condense this failure into a useful bug report.
>
> Post the Makefile.am and post a full 'make -jN' output that shows the
> failure, please.  If you use Automake < 1.10, please update to that and
> see if you can still reproduce the failure.

Sorry for the much-delayed follow-up on this; but I think I've found the
problem here. (And, yes, I'm using Automake 1.10.)

My Makefile.am includes targets for both libraries and programs; and the
latter depend on the former. If I refer to a library dependency relative
to top_builddir, make says it has no rule to build the target. If I
refer to the library relative to builddir, it works fine.

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <address@hidden>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <address@hidden>