Re: Strictness

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: Strictness
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:40:29 +0100

> I disagree. In a centralised VCS sure, you can scale to 100's of commits
> a day - but in a distributed VCS - e.g. bzr, git, hg, monotone ... you
> tend to get 100's of commits on branches, and a much smaller number of
> branch merges occuring - branch merges being the point at which code
> review is done, regression tests run etc. And its entirely appropriate
> to create a human meaningful summary of the aggregate work done on that
> branch.

Actually - this argument doesn't support your conclusion.

In Subversion (as an example) if you were merging branch A to the
trunk after 10 commits you would have one revision entry for the merge
- not the aggregate of all 10. So in this instance the commit message
would be the description of the merge and the ChangeLog would (like I
previously stated) make sense copying this exactly...

... which once again begs the question - why bother?

--
"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman