Re: Adding extra rules to make

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Adding extra rules to make
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:40:28 +0200

Hello Jason,

* address@hidden wrote on Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 01:56:50PM CEST:

> As part of the build process, I would like to convert text files to
> binary files. They don't get installed, the files can be used later to
> test the program.

Try the following (untested):

SRC = 01_InvalidByte.txt      \
      02_CorruptedMsg.txt     \
      03_InvalidByte.txt      \
      04_InvalidByteAscii.txt \
      05_BufferOverrun.txt

BIN = $(SRC:.txt=.bin)
CLEANFILES = $(BIN)
EXTRA_DIST = $(SRC) pxxd.pl

all-local: $(BIN)

# When we 'make' we create generate the bin files
SUFFIXES = .txt .bin
.txt.bin:
        perl pxxd.pl $< $@

If you want to generate the bin files only at 'make check' time, then
you can use the 'check-local' target instead of the 'all-local' one.

Hope that helps.  If it doesn't, then please post the output you get
from the failing 'make' command.

Cheers,
Ralf