Re: variables containing newline characters

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: variables containing newline characters
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 22:56:39 +0200 (CEST)

Hello James,

* James Willenbring wrote on Fri, May 04, 2007 at 05:51:18AM CEST:

> I am attempting to move the Trilinos project from Automake 1.8.2 to
1.10.  I
> am having trouble with variables that span multiple lines.  Since some
of
> the variables that we commonly use can have hundreds of characters, it
is
> common to use newline characters to break them up.
>
> That has always worked for us in the past.  Now I get a warning during
configure:

> configure: WARNING: Cache variable ac_cv_env_LIBS_value contains a
newline.

But this is only a warning (and a legitimate one at that, because the
newlines are not correctly preserved in the config.cache file if used).

> Then make fails quickly:
>
> Makefile:161: *** missing separator.  Stop.

If the failure comes from a substituted value with newlines, then I wonder
how that could have worked before:  Autoconf before 2.60 wasn't able to
deal with newlines in substituted values.

> Is there a solution for this problem, other than passing long lines to
configure?

Please post a pointer to the project sources, or, alternatively, its
configure.ac and the toplevel Makefile.am file.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Ralf