Re: aclocal does not add LIBTOOL macros?

From: Tsuna
Subject: Re: aclocal does not add LIBTOOL macros?
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 17:13:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, May 5, 2007 13:10, Stephane Bortzmeyer said:
> I always have problems bootstrapping auto* programs. This time,
> automake's aclocal apparently does not do what it should.

How about using autoreconf --force --verbose --install (or -fvi for shorter)?

> The program uses libtool: [SNIP]
> aclocal does not add LIBTOOL macros:
>
> % aclocal
> % grep LIBTOOL aclocal.m4
> %
>
> And, of course, autoconf complains:
>
> % autoconf
> configure:2125: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use
> m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure:2126: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL

Looks like aclocal does not know where libtool.m4 is.  Are you sure
autoconf, automake and libtool were installed in the same prefix?

This is a very common problem when people re-install newer versions of
autoconf/automake and add them first in their PATH but they forget to also
install libtool.  So invoking libtool / libtoolize still works (it's
simply found later in the PATH) but the newer autoconf/automake won't find
libtool's macros because they're somewhere they're not looking.

Some packaging systems install newer versions of libtool under the name
glibtool / glibtoolize (eg: MacPorts on Mac OS X).  If it's your case,
simply export LIBTOOL=glibtool; export LIBTOOLIZE=glibtoolize and then
autoreconf -fvi.

--
SIGOURE Benoit aka Tsuna
EPITA Promo 2008, LRDE