Re: Creating a shared object rather the a static library

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Creating a shared object rather the a static library
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:54:10 +0100

Hello Jeff,

* Jeff Safier wrote on Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 03:30:21PM CET:
>  So, I realized my mistake and I can use libtool.
>
> However when I make my library I install it in /usr/local/lib.  I am now
> however having trouble linking it to my project.  I get an error that it
> cant find the library and it seems to be looking in a .lib folder under
> the project folder
>
> Can I direct the linker as where to find the library without specifying
> the path within the LDADD line of my Makefile.am?

If you want to link against libfoo.la which is built within your
project, then do it by specifying the relative path to the uninstalled
.la file.  For example:

  program_LDADD = ../lib/libfoo.la

Then both the uninstalled and the installed program will link against
the right library.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf