HPUX: PARALLEL=4 make -P

From: deckrider
Subject: HPUX: PARALLEL=4 make -P
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 16:47:23 -0700

I'm having some parallel problem that isn't always repeatable (as is
the case with many parallel problems) when using HP make as follows:

PARALLEL=4 make -P distcheck

I get errors like this:

gcc -g -O2 -o goodbye src/goodbye.o
gcc -g -O2 -o one src/one.o
gcc: src/goodbye.o: No such file or directory
gcc: no input files
gcc: src/one.o: No such file or directory
gcc: no input files

It seems that perhaps $(bin_PROGRAMS) depending on Makefile in my
example might be needed to solve this.  However, I might expect
Automake to take care of it.

Of course, running this also works, but does not gain the benefit of
being parallel:

make distcheck

I'm attaching bug-1.0.0.zip which is a small project which reproduces
the error on my system:

c2c698cfbb26759c0f135557f60f518a  bug-1.0.0.zip (md5sum)

$ uname -a
HP-UX omztdv1 B.11.23 U ia64 2505142627 unlimited-user license

We have 4 CPUs on this system, which is why we use PARALLEL=4 (I would
guess that this may not be repeatable on a single CPU system).

address@hidden:~$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.10
Written by Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
      and Alexandre Duret-Lutz <address@hidden>.

address@hidden:~$ autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.61
This is free software.  You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by David J. MacKenzie and Akim Demaille.
address@hidden:~$ libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.5.22 (1.1220.2.365 2005/12/18 22:14:06)

address@hidden:~$