Re: custom install rules

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: custom install rules
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 09:29:13 +0100

Hello Christian,

* Christian Parpart wrote on Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 07:18:18AM CET:

> I'd like to install some plugins, that usually do not need any .la or .a
> files
> to be installed (and even compiled).

Use the `install-exec-local' target to extend Automake's install rules,
don't override the `install' target.

If you use Automake-1.10, you could use
  AM_LIBTOOLFLAGS = --tag=disable-static
to avoid creating non-PIC objects and archives; similarly
target_LIBTOOLFLAGS if you have other targets in the directory that do
not want this tag.  This --tag is not yet documented by Libtool, because
we weren't sure whether it's portable/functional enough.  But I think it
works pretty ok.  Of course, if your whole package wants only shared
libs, and you haven't prepared for preloaded modules anyway, then you
should rather put AC_DISABLE_STATIC in configure.ac.

>         rm $(DESTDIR)${chatplugindir}/$${lafile/.la/.a}; \

The shell syntax `${foo/regex/sub}' is a bash extension not available
in other shells.  A more portable way to write this which would be XSI
conformant would be `${foo%.la}.a'.  But first, with above hint you
won't need this line, second you may still run afoul of breaking your
installation on AIX, where shared libraries may end in `.a', or w32,
where static libraries may end in `.lib'.  The `old_library' setting
in the .la file tells you the right name if any.

Further, I should be advising against removing installed .la files.
While they may not help you much, they are usually of more help to
users that install software below nonstandard locations.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf