Re: prog_DEPENDENCIES

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: prog_DEPENDENCIES
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:44:59 -0500

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 04:58:34PM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> * Bob Rossi wrote on Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 02:32:30PM CET:
> >
> >   -std_btree_driver_LDADD = -ladt
> >   +std_btree_driver_LDADD = libadt.a
> >
> >   -std_btree_driver_DEPENDENCIES = $(top_builddir)/various/adt/src
> >   +std_btree_driver_DEPENDENCIES = libadt.a
>
> Hmm.  If libadt.a is built in the same directory, then I'd also do the
> first change, and remove the *_DEPENDENCIES line.  That way,
> dependencies should be computed correctly.  See my reply to the other
> thread for more information.  ;-)
>
> (The changed *_DEPENDENCIES line looks ok from a casual glance.  But why
> maintain two lines of information if it can be tracked automatically?)
>
> (The original *_DEPENDENCIES line looks a bit suspicious.  Is that a
> directory?  Depending on a directory isn't portable to all kinds of
> 'make' implementations.)

OK, from this suggestion, I'm going to change all _LDADD lines from
-lfoo to $(top_builddir)/pathto/libfoo.a.

I'll remove all _DEPENDENCIES completly. Does this sound like a correct
change to you? BTW, all the _DEPENDENCIES that I'm talking about are
libraries that are built from my own project, but not necessarily in the
same Makefile.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi